Hope everyone had a good long weekend! I can’t believe it’s already Thursday again. It’s hard coming back from a long weekend and getting right back into it. I had two assignments due on Tuesday and Wednesday – one of which was a debate team project. I wasn’t looking forward to coming back from camping, and would have much rather been at the beach instead of in class.
this wasn’t our site, but you had the option of camping right on the beach
We went camping in Port Renfrew, and ventured over to the Botanical Beach at Juan De Fuca Park. The tide pools are amazing, and you can find all sorts of little creatures in them.
Considering I haven’t gone camping for a while, we had a pretty great camping trip. We went into the woods to cut our own firewood, we caught our own dinner, our friends have a fishing boat, and even had an axe throwing competition. And of course, a roaring fire with s’mores.
We also went boating and fishing, which was fun until I began to regret our breakfast choice, eggs and sausages, after we were out rocking away for a couple hours in the fog. Everyone says to ‘keep your eye on the horizon,’ and that’s great, but when it’s foggy and there is nothing on the horizon except grey and you can’t see anything it’s hard to focus on ‘staring straight.’ Let’s just say I stayed in the next day while the guys went boating, and I went to the beach with some of the girls to get my tan on instead. We only caught one salmon, but we caught a ton of crab. We cooked it up that night over the fire, and it was sooo goood. We even had enough when we went back to check on the last day to bring some home with us.
Since today’s July 4th, I think these should be called Red, White and Blueberry Muffins. Happy Independence day to our neighbours down south!
I made these to take with us camping for a quick healthy snack – or breakfast. Perfect for camping trips, or road trips. I would eat these within two days, or freeze. The protein powder and fruit make them turn a little mushy after a few days.
- 1 Cup Bob’s Red Mill wheat free/dairy free/gluten free pancake mix (can also use 1 cup AP flour, or other gluten free flour)
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1/4 Cup Brown Rice Flour (or other flour wf/gf if needed)
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 1 Tbsp Flax Seeds
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Almond milk (or other milk alternative)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries (fresh/frozen)
- 1/2 Cup Raspberries (fresh/frozen)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, add bananas, milk, vanilla and sugar and beat until well combined.
- Fold wet ingredients gently into dry ingredients, and add the berries.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes for muffins until toothpick inserted in middle comes out dry.
- Allow to cool. Store in container, best if eaten within 2 days, or freeze them.