Alright, so now you get to see what all those delicious blackberries were baked into!! Well, here they are. Incredibly good Blackberry Crumb Bars. Oh-so good blackberries combined with lemon juice and lemon zest sandwiched between two shortbread like layers = Yum. These are just sweet and tart enough without being overly sugary. And super versatile. You could easily substitute in blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cherries, or even peaches! They are even better once refrigerated and cut easily into take-along bars.
It was really easy to make basically four ingredients: berries, flour, sugar and lemon. Perfect for all those end of summer left over berries, or even for the fall. You can definitely freeze all your berries from the summer and use them in the fall to make the dessert. Just note that they will probably be a bit watery once you thaw them. Maybe cut back on the amount of lemon juice, or add a bit more cornstarch.
If you’ve got some berries at home and some flour, I suggest you get baking! I’m going to visit my friend today – who didn’t help pick the berries by the way, but will get to taste the finished product! Lucky friend ; )
Sorry it took a few days … but I went to the island again this weekend – and jumped off a bridge! Yes, I’m crazy. I went bungy jumping in Nanaimo yesterday – and it was scary! But so much fun too! I said I wanted to do lots of exciting new things in my 21st year, and so far since June I’ve gotten a tattoo, gone to Vegas (Just last week! and no, I’m not a millionaire) and now bungy jumping. I think it’s a pretty good list so far! There’s also a few to-dos on my baking list, I better get on that!
Blackberry Crumb Bars
As seen on Smitten Kitchen, Adapted from AllRecipes.com
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
- 1 egg
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 4-5 cups fresh berries of your choice
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the berries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
These tasted even better once refrigerated, but feel free to dig in while their still warm! Maybe with a scoop of ice cream!
& Here’s me jumping off a bridge!