Yesterday I shared a meatless ‘tuesday’ meal I made from GoGo Quinoa products that I received from the company. I was so excited to discover them in the store, and then to have them send me some more items to try out.
One of the items I received was their Dark Chocolate Cake Mix. I was excited to try it, because I had seen lots of quinoa cake recipes online, and now I had an all-in-one mix to give it a try. I used it to make mini cakes and cupcakes for Adam’s birthday last weekend.
The cake was light and fluffy without being overly sweet. The cake actually has chocolate chips in the mix as well. It is definitely a much lighter cake than others I’ve made, not as dense which makes it easy to eat 😉 I would definitely use it again, it’s perfect for wheat-free and gluten-free celebrations.
I wanted to keep it dairy-free, so I used coconut cream to make a chocolate coconut cream frosting. I used it on the cake as well as on some cupcakes that I made with the leftover batter. The mix makes enough for a large cake, or cupcakes or even a mini cake like I made.
To make the Chocolate Coconut Cream Frosting:
- 1 can of coconut cream, refrigerated overnight
- 2-3 Tbs. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1. Remove coconut cream from the fridge and scoop out the thick cream – if there is any water at the bottom (although mine had none) leave it out.
2. Using an electric mixer, whip the coconut cream until smooth and creamy. Add in the cocoa powder and mix again.
3. Frost cake or cupcakes. Refrigerate any unused portion.