Now that’s one jam packed muffin!! Oh and yes, I lived through my first ( and possibly last! I hope not!! ) Merritt Mountain Music Festival! Hopefully they keep the music going for next year, as this was the 17th annual one and they are possibly canceling it next year due to, what else, money. But I’ve heard that they may have found a sponsor for it which is great!
After a weekend of sitting in a river all day and listening to music all night I needed to come home and bake something! Also, a friend of mine, also named Alysha, is coming to visit tonight and I thought some muffins for tomorrow morning’s breakfast would be good, since I work at 9.
I have been away these past two weekends, last weekend in Merritt, and the weekend before I had gone to Osoyoos. When we were driving home from Osoyoos (With a FULL tank of gas.. oh yes there’s a story! note to self: do not almost run out of gas in the middle of the forest near Manning Park – with bears – driving to Osoyoos and have to pull over a park ranger to follow you to the next gas station just in case you don’t make it – Mom!) Where was I? Oh yes, on our way home from Osoyoos with lots of gas, we stopped in Keremeos, The Fruit Stand Capital Of Canada! We brought home a few zucchini’s, squash, cherries, potatoes, apricots, apples, raspberry syrup..mmm…so I’ve had these large zucchinis and cherries lying around and this morning I thought I would put them to use. Don’t they look good together??
I’ve already done a Zucchini and Banana Bundt Cake , and then I looked online to see how I could incorporate the zucchini and cherries together. I found this recipe and combined it with this one to come up with Chocolate, Zucchini & Cherry Muffins. The perfect combo of veggies and chocolate! So it’s somewhat healthy.. or at least you can tell yourself that when you’re eating your 3rd one.. enjoy! =)
Chocolate, Zucchini & Cherry Muffins
makes about 16
- 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 small zucchinis, or one large one!
- 6 ounces of bittersweet chocolate
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3/4cup of canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 cup cherries, cut in half and pitted. (you can also chop them up a bit more)
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
Preheat your oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Grate the zucchini and put to the side.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler – or microwave
- In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Once incorporated, whisk in the flour mixture in small batches.
- Add the cocoa
- Add the grated zucchini, cherries and chocolate
- Line a muffin pan with liners (or pam them sans liners!) and add a 1/4 cup of muffin batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack before serving.
*note don’t over mix the batter, it should be lumpy and doughy, I think I mixed it a little too much when I added the chocolate so they didn’t quite rise.. more like two bit mini muffins!
Hope you are all enjoying your summer!