I’m kind of disappointed that I haven’t had any real ‘pregnancy’ cravings. I mean, I didmake a toasted tunafish sandwich at 4 a.m. one night, but let’s be real – what pregnant lady doesn’t?
I also keep asking my husband if he can ‘smell that,’ like food smells, or if it’s just me. Usually, he can also smell it. Which means I clearly don’t have the super-hightened-pregnancy-sense-of-smell. Darn.
I realize this is a blessing in disguise – I have had a pretty easy pregnancy as far as symptoms and complications go – knock on wood. We’re also halfway – 21 weeks this week. It’s crazy to even think about how quick this has gone.
I shouldn’t complain that I haven’t experienced anything – I have the protruding stomach that now looks like I’m actually pregnant, and not the ‘i just ate two burgers’ food baby. But other than the growing baby bump, I feel pretty normal-ish. The only recurring pain is sleep – the lack of, and discomfort. My pregnant best friend (who’s having TWINS!) and I had a spa day last month and the prenatal massage was glorious.
Thankfully I also haven’t had any food aversions. Though I have eaten less meat, and have little desire to cook chicken (I can’t eat red meat because of an intolerance/allergy). There’s been lots of veggie/vegetarian meals for dinner and lunches. Black bean burgers made a big comeback when I was seriously hankering for a beef burger.
My sweet tooth disappeared in the first few months of pregnancy, replaced by all things tangy-salty-vinegary (tuna sandwich with pickles) – but it’s definitely back.
I’m also baking more now than the first few months – gotta fatten baby up. Spring baking comes back strong with all the fruits popping up, lemon loaves and carrot cake.
This Lemon Loaf is just how you want a Lemon Loaf – fragrant, perfect crumb and a light glaze on top.
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil OR vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- Zest from one lemon
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1cup icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, and almond milk and blend until smooth.
- Add in both oils and continue blending.
- Add lemon zest and juice and continue to blend.
- Using blender on low or spatula, add flour and baking powder. Don’t over-mix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 mins.
- Allow loaf to cool in the loaf pan.
- Remove loaf from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- In a small bowl, add the icing sugar and slowly mix in the lemon juice and continually stir until smooth. Add more icing sugar or lemon juice until you reach the desired consistency.
- Evenly drizzle glaze over bread. Allow glaze to set and dry before slicing.
- Store on countertop in container, or slice and store in ziplock bags. Also freeze individual bags for a quick on the go snack or breakfast!