And what a Friday – this week has been absolutely gorgeous! It’s SO hot outside right now. I almost didn’t even want to turn the oven on to make this loaf – but for you, I did. You’re welcome.
And for my friends at Tea Sparrow. They sent me some sample to try last year, when I created my lemon lavender scones using herbs from the tea, and this year I created something to share with mom for mother’s day with a new sample of teas. Tea Sparrow offers a monthly tea collection delivered right to your door with new tea’s every month. This month there were some delicious creations, and one of my favourites was the Blood Orange Smoothie. It’s an herbal roobios tea, with orange peel and lots of citrus flavours. The perfect pairing for a lemon loaf.
Instead of just having a loaf of lemon cake with your tea, how about using the tea to make the frosting? I steeped the tea leaves in hot coconut milk, and then used the tea-infused coconut milk to make the frosting. The subtle hints added a delicious taste to the frosting, and of course pair well with a tea that matches.
Whether you’re baking for mom this mother’s day, or baking for yourself (super mom’s) you’ll love this lemon loaf! It also happens to be gluten free, made without any grains, and less than a cup of sugar for the whole loaf. I’ve made quite a few gluten-free loaves, and i was so happy with how it turned out. The loaf itself was light and fluffy, and not too dense. It reminded me a lot of the starbucks lemon loaf, only studded with poppy seeds.
- 1 cups cashew meal
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter, or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup coconut milk, or other dairy-free milk-alternative
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1/4 cup coconut (optional)
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 Tbs. Coconut milk
- 1/2 tbs. tea leaves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees and grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and coconut milk in another bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, along with the poppyseeds and mix until just combined.
- Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes - until the middle is set and the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven, let cool a few minutes in the pan before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Heat the coconut milk in the microwave, using a tea steeper, steep a 1/2 tbs. of tea leaves in the hot coconut milk for 5-10 minutes. Sift the powdered sugar, and stir in the coconut milk and lemon juice. Mix together to form frosting, if it is too thin add more icing sugar.
- You can top it with toasted coconut flakes for an extra delicious crunch - toast in pan over medium heat until fragrant.