There is something so magical about the first snowfall of the season.
Friday night while watching a movie with one of my friends, and snacking on our charcuterie board (the best), the soft white flakes began falling down. We took a peak outside and were happily surprised to see how much had accumulated over the past couple hours.
As a kid it was always so exciting when the first snow fell – waking up to a winter wonderland was everything. And, if you knew it was supposed to snow, you would leap out of bed and tear open the blinds to see if it really had snowed. You’d race to get your snow gear on and bound out to the fresh mounds of snow to make snowmen and snow angels.
Now, as an adult, I get equally as excited about the first snowfall. However, for much different reasons. First, I’m happy it was on a Friday night so I didn’t have to get up and drive to work the next day because, lets face it, people freak out at the tiniest bit of snow. And second, instead of running out to enjoy the snow, I am happier to stay indoors, cozy up with a warm cup of tea, a good book or show and watch the snow fall around outside.
What better way to spend a snowy day inside than by baking. I’ve rounded up a few of this past years favourite holiday recipes. Some new, some old and some gluten free and/or vegan! Something to please everyones taste buds
1. Italian Pizzelle Cookies – crisp, light and delicately sweet.
2. Vegan Brownies – bake them in a larger pan, cut into smaller squares to please a crowd.
3. Personalized Gingerbread Cookies – monogrammed cookies means everyone gets one
4. Flourless Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars – fluffy and light, gluten free.
5. Fudgey Raspberry Brownies – dense, and deliciously decadent.
6. Christmas Toffee Crack(le) – addictive, salty and sweet – amazing
7. Flourless Almond Brownies – made with almond meal, dense and fudge-like
8. Almond Butter Blossom Cookies – an almond-butter take on the traditional thumbprint classic
9. Nanaimo Bar Bites – one of my favourite holiday treats, just dressed up a little different
10. Salted Almond Butter & Pretzel Cups – just like their peanut-y partner, these almond butter cups are a bite of heaven.
11. Pumpkin Biscotti – a seasonal twist on another italian classic – drizzle in chocolate for an extra treat.