I pretty much stayed around the house all weekend – friday night was a gym session with my friend followed by a sauna. We were in the sauna when a bunch of teen girls came into the clubhouse and began blasting music in the yoga room. We both felt old because we wanted to tell them to ‘turn it down’ – because technically they weren’t allowed in by themselves anyways (under 18 have to be accompanied by an adult) and they were being super loud and annoying while we were trying to relax in our sauna. Of course, we did tell them and they laughed and were embarrassed and left.
Yup – feeling old when I’m telling you girls to stop having fun haha. Hey – after a full week of work and a friday of the long weekend I want to relax and lounge in my sauna after a workout in peace and quiet. I pay my strata fees (ok – Adam does) and deserve to enjoy the amenities without the pre-teen fanatics. Less than a month until my birthday – when I guess I’ll officially be in my ‘late’ 20s. Does that start at 26? Or can I still pretend I’m 25? maybe 24? Oh well – at least I’ll always be younger than Adam, right? 😉
Saturday was spent running errands searching for things at the thrift store for Adam and I’s upcoming engagement photo shoot (this weekend!) and enjoying the sun. I made a yummy salmon dinner (you might have seen it on my Instagram)
Sunday was a day of cleaning (continued from saturday) – the laundry, both cars (inside & out!) and most of the house is now quite clean. Lainey and I even went on two walks (morning and night) and I did a Jillian Michaels workout. Whenever I’m working out at home Lainey takes that as a “come play” sign and jumps all over me while I’m on my yoga mat – not so easy doing walking planks with a small dog running around underneath you.
The weather forecast kept calling for rain but it was clear skies and sun all weekend long. Even my weather app said it was ‘currently raining’ as we were out walking in the glorious sun. That’s the only time it’s good when the weatherman gets it wrong.
Today is a holiday – Victoria Day. I’m hoping the rain will stay away so Adam’s sister and our niece can come over to go to the beach for the day.
I also perfected the protein waffle. (^^^ perfect)
I hadn’t made a protein waffle in a while, I was too busy enjoying the 3-ingredient Vegan Pancakes I discovered. However, waffles are back in a major way. I’ve made protein waffles before with the regular ingredients: egg, banana and protein powder. I sort of became obsessed with them last summer – they make a delicious post-workout breakfast in the morning.
However, I wanted something a little sturdier and textured like a yeasted-belgian waffle (something I haven’t had in a long time). I found protein waffles were a little soft and mushy – though still delicious. But this version is denser and can hold up to the fruit topping or nut butter I smother it in. They’re sturdy – you could even top it with an egg for a savoury breakfast option.
They’re easy, packed with protein and keep well in the fridge. Just heat up in the microwave the next morning for a quick breakfast, or you could even pop them in the toaster! for a crunchy and crisp waffle. Bonus – they’re wheat free, sugar free, gluten free and dairy free.
- 1 scoop protein powder of your choice (I use a vegan plant based protein)
- 1 small/medium banana (ripe, but not overly ripe - a little green on the tips)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2/3 cup oats, pulsed into oat flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal / almond flour (either works)
- dash of cinnamon
- Pre-heat waffle iron to medium heat
- Add all ingredients to medium-sized bowl, using hand-held blender beat until fully incorporated. If it is too thick add a splash more of the almond milk (or, more oats if too runny). Should be the consistency of regular waffle batter.
- Use 1/3 cup scoop to add to waffle iron - bake per your waffle iron instructions, I did it about 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Serve with fresh fruit, or warm fruit compote (frozen berries microwaved for 1 minute), or nut butter of your choice.
- Once cooled, refrigerate leftovers. Re-heat in microwave or toaster.